Friday, February 08, 2008

I HATE Flagyl

The following is a list of reasons that I hate flagyl. I have listed the many side effects I am having from this horrible antibiotic. If you are weak of heart, this may not be the post for you. If you are sick of mind, keep reading: (taken from http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/metronidaz_ad.htm)
1. Mouth: A sharp, unpleasant metallic taste is not unusual. Furry tongue; these may be associated with a sudden overgrowth of Candida which may occur during therapy.
2. Central Nervous System: irritability, weakness, and insomnia.
3. Hypersensitivity: flushing, nasal congestion, dryness of the mouth, and fever.
4. Renal: polyuria. Instances of darkened urine have been reported by approximately one patient in 100,000. Although the pigment which is probably responsible for this phenomenon has not been positively identified, it is almost certainly a metabolite of metronidazole and seems to have no clinical significance.
Additional symptoms listed in the Rite Aid Pharmacy pamphlet:
5. Stomach pain, loss of appetite, constipation, changes in taste, sore throat

Hence, I am a mess. I am a walking warning label for Flagyl. Oh, and it tastes horrid. We are talking, I nearly throw up every time I take it (every 8 hours). And the taste lasts and lasts. It is pretty great that way.

And the pharmacy pamphlet says I should tell my doctor immediately if I have a sore throat because it could be a serious side effect. Hmm, I have had the sore throat since Monday. Oops.

However, I have lost a bit of weight, if we are looking on the bright side.

3 comments:

Lani said...

Ooooh. Note to self. ;-)

Liz Johnson said...

I'm sorry. I took Flagyl a couple of times in Mexico and it was awful stuff. :( It's better than Secnidol, which, based on my googling, is only available in Mexico... probably for a good reason. It basically kills all the good, bad, and ugly bacteria in your system and almost kills you too. It knocks you out for 3 or 4 days, but then you're better. It was the only thing to get rid of whatever nasty parasites I picked up in the ranchos. GROSS.

I'm so sorry. :( You should come out here and I'll feed you chicken noodle soup and let you do whatever you want. :)

Kristin said...

I HATE FLAGYL TOO!!

I was on it for almost a month. It was horrible. I'm getting kind of sick just thinking about it.

Anyways...

I've been reading your blog, and I love it - probably because I love you. Hope you are doing great...apart from the whole being sick thing.